Welcome to the Jungle

Hello there!  If you're reading this, it's either early days yet for my posting, or you do exactly what I do when looking at a new blog: you go to where it all begins.
First off, let me mention something about the title.  At least, it's the title at the time I'm writing this.  Everything is, of course, subject to change.  Right now it says, "Unfortunately, I think I'm now an adult" so let me clue you in to my meaning.  For starters, there's nothing wrong with being an adult...in theory.  Possibly as my life takes on a more concrete shape, I'll begin to enjoy the transformation a bit more.  At the moment, however, I feel like I am uneasily hovering between realms.  I work with a bunch of wonderful teens and pre-teens, so I get to spend a lot of time feeling both monumentally old and unnecessarily young at sudden turns throughout the process.  I clearly remember almost everything about the years when I was where they are, felt exactly the ways they do, and knew with certainty many of the things I now find myself doubting.  In short, the bummer of becoming an "adult" is the loss of freedom, clarity, self-assured opinions, and clear personal expectations.  I think I can proudly say that I have traded many of these things for an expanded and more comprehensive world view (although I'm sure it will double time and time again in the years to come), a deeper understanding of self, and realizations of the underlying nature of my physical, mental, and spiritual form.
And now, if you're anything like me, here's some info you really want to know as I begin to jump in to this process of chronicling my perspectives and personal journey.

  • I'm currently 25 at the time of writing this
  • I graduated from university earlier this year after 7 years of full time collegiate study
  • I have a wide and varied number of interests, but very few things I'd truly call passions
  • This ^ has made it a bit more difficult in discerning career paths
Some other things of interest for a potential reader, that might be discussed later but definitely hold bearing on my actions and underlying motivations:
  • I am diagnosed with Bipolar II with a tendency for long bouts of depression interspersed with quick manic episodes.  This influences many health concerns (along with the anxiety component of the disease) that affect my life plan considerations.
  • In part because of the depressive episodes, but mostly due to a personal tendency toward shyness and social isolation, I suck at keeping up with old friends and have difficulty engaging new ones.  My closest relationships have always been with my family members, although my therapist knows me very well, too.
  • I am a rather big specimen of humanity.  Although I've been making a concerted effort at healthier living and weight loss and plan to continue to do so, I can't "work off" being six feet tall.   
  • I love information and study intently those subjects that I'm interested in.  Unfortunately, I can tend to lose interest quickly if research becomes difficult or my initial inquiry is satiated without additional queries resulting.
  • There is nothing I refuse to talk about, given the right audience and forum.  While there are plenty of things I don't choose to share with people in typical conversation, I don't ever recall withholding information or opinions when directly questioned.
So there you go, lovely reader.  It's certainly a place to get started with this whole process.  In the event that I have a viewpoint you'd like to hear more about, I encourage anyone brave enough to make it this far into a post to contact me with questions, suggestions, or prompts.  In the future, I hope to flesh out this blog page with many more musings as well as information and links about some of the many topics that peak my interests and curiosity.  At the moment, it's safe to surmise that I spend far too much time engaged with technology and media, but the upside is that I tend to discover many interesting and cute areas of the documented digital world.  I'll try to share some of that with whomever might be out there on the other side of the internet.  Maybe it will give you insight into my opinions, mental state, or sense of humor.  Even better, maybe it will trigger your opinions, mental state, or sense of humor.  After all, I find that what we as a species most live for is the assurance that we are able to connect to others, our environment, and our maker.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Apparently I'm so bad at what I do most that it might kill me

Round 12 of my fight vs me

Getting thrown off a cliff