I survived the start of Christmas

It's been a bit since my last post, and I'm now completely into the downhill arc of the Christmas season.  You know, the season for all good little Episcopalians like myself that begins 12/25 and ends on 1/5.  While there are still a couple parties left to attend, the majority of the Advent preparations and hectic frenzy has passed.  I gave and received some wonderful gifts, spent as much time with friends and family as I possibly could, and realized what items on my to-do list really could just wait.  I may be only postponing trouble until next year, but I didn't want to over tax myself or miss out on something memorable in order to deal with "business".  It was also made very evident over the past few weeks that my pre-Thanksgiving back injury is not healing as I'd like, even with regular physical therapy.  Having back, hip, and leg pain really slows me down and derails my regular time table.  Especially when it came to making holiday treats, I ended up needing three days to get done what would have previously been accomplished in 1.  My greatest fear is that this isn't something fixable; perhaps this is the unfortunate new normal.  It terrifies me.

On a much more cheerful note, I now have photographic evidence of our family cat in a FSU jersey.  She hated it, which is part of what made it so great.

More importantly, all four members of my immediate family were able to stay in the same house for a whole week, were excited to be together, and didn't maim each other over bathroom counter space.  It was great to have us all here at once.  It also made me a bit sad that, if I am able to pursue the YASC opportunity like I hope to, this will likely not be a reality for next Christmas.  In fact, unless I try to make special arrangements, I may have seen my sister for the last time in person for the next year and a half.  Depending on the school she chooses to attend to pursue her doctorate in physical therapy, she could start classes as early as the beginning of next summer.  I'm so proud of her determination and her ability to apply herself so effusively to any task she chooses to pursue.

I'll end with a quick YASC update, in the hopes that it will someday be a greater aspect of my life and to this blog.  I have submitted my application (actually a few weeks ago) and all my references were extremely prompt with their submissions as well.  So now I'm just waiting to hear back from whomever makes the overall decisions about if they're going to allow me to continue or not.  I'll probably know by the end of next week, if not sooner, but I detest waiting.  If I am chosen to continue, I go forward with the support of many clergy, the guidance of the array of individuals soon to meet as my discernment committee, and the support of the bishop himself (along with a commitment toward "at least" 20% of my fundraising needs).  I'm starting to look into particulars and details about storage, passports, and preparatory savings without getting my hopes up too much.  It's quite difficult to continue planning in earnest excitement and have to continually temper it so as not to get my hopes dashed too hard in a worst case scenario.
On the other hand, I got this great cup for a Christmas gift from my lovely sister who knows just how snarky I am (and how much I adore the internet sensation known as Grumpy Cat):

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Getting thrown off a cliff

Apparently I'm so bad at what I do most that it might kill me

Round 12 of my fight vs me