The one where I sing about Pickles

Hello there, people of the internet! (I suppose, if you stick around online long enough it becomes akin to a "Children of the Corn" sorta creepy situation, but, hey, you're here and I'll take whatever audience I can get, so thanks!)  You might, at this point, be asking yourself "Holy cow! Is this girl ever gonna actually LEAVE???" I know you are asking yourself this, because I've been asking myself about this, too! I mean, this is my 27th blog post (so if you've become really bored and only recently tuned in to this process, I encourage you to take what little free time you probably don't really have, procrastinate semi- to highly-important things, and dive into the archives with a forgiving nature to my weirdness and ways).

Obviously, the road from Florida to Brazil is a long one (that I won't be taking because airplanes are much faster), in fact, it seems to take longer to get there than any other YASC placement this year (be sure to check out the "About YASC" page to see all the blogs of my peers who have already managed to get where they're going!).  The good news for me, even though some things are frustratingly stagnant, is that God has not wavered in keeping me growing as a person and a Christian. 
This is the realest of the real right now for me!
Me & my mom at the annual Baseball with the Bishop event
The even cooler news for me is that he's given me a number of fun and amusing things to do in this time of waiting. I got to join my church and diocesan (and actual) family at a Tampa Bay Rays' baseball game.  Got to see a bunch of my Episco-peeps and (kinda surprising) the Rays won!
Selfie with Cannon Eric (I know he's reading this blog, so HI!)

And if being out at a baseball game late into the night didn't sound like enough adventure for a weekend, there was more excitement the next day.
So I took the chance to go with the youth group to Universal Theme Park's Rock the Universe event.  The standard park attractions, rides, and fun are increased by great concerts by all Christian artists.  It's a long day/night, but somehow roller coasters, worship, and midnight pie and tacos always result in great memories and unique chances to build relationships and answer strange and typical questions about life from a Christian perspective.


The Holy Innocents' tiny but mighty crew for Rock the Universe

The newest Harry Potter ride at Universal
Some of the great Christian Music groups performing




















I also spent one insomnia ridden night looking at plane flight options in and around Brazil on a new to me phone app, just dreaming about places I want to visit and experience.  I accidentally found a great deal on a flight to visit Dallas, where my sister is currently living and working on her doctorate of physical therapy.  She agreed to the invasion and I was able to spend a great week in Texas.  And I learned that becoming a physical therapist is, as far as I can tell, a lot of studying the human body, waking up really early to study some more, and spending time poking at dead people in the required cadaver lab.  Glad it's her and not me.

So here's a whole lot of pictures of what I did while there (not pictured: waking up at 6 am every day because they live by an airport).  For those of you who read via mobile, I'm not sure how well this will work for you, since it's a lot of stuff to load (also, there's a video later too, so maybe just go to the website for real now so you don't miss any of the good stuff) 
Fr. Michael Hurst (and current youngest grandkid) at lunch after Sunday church. Before he was "Fr. Mike" he was the youth leader that took me on my very first mission trip...so I guess all this is kinda his fault ;-)
"Thanksgiving" dinner. Pretty good for working out of a grad student apartment kitchen
Family favorite stuffing!
Smoked turkey legs (because it was that or ground turkey at the Kroger, real turkeys are not stocked until late next month)
Since they didn't own a pie plate, we had to finish the meal with pumpkin cupcakes
Sister picture #1
#2 (the camera didn't take photos immediately when clicked, and we're easily distracted and impatient)
#3 (told ya)
#4
#5 finally held still long enough
"Why are you so close?"
Dr Suess looking Turkey leg
Turkeys are strangely built
My gracious Dallas Hostesses
A future doctor study night, and the homemade Shepherd's pie I made for them
Early birthday dinner (coconut shrimp, asparagus, brussel sprouts, and pão de queijo (favorites of the birthday girl)

 Adventures around town
A trip to Thanksgiving Square in the heart of the city
Another of my favorite verses, nestled into such a busy big world.
The Thanksgiving Square and informational area


The fountain and the chapel, right in the middle of the city.


Inside the chapel
The beautiful stained glass is designed to represent our beginnings in suffering and trials, but ultimate ascending to likeness of our higher power through thankfulness. (The chapel and square boast many biblical quotations, but are overall purposefully interfaith areas. I arrived at the end of Friday's midday prayers and waited for the group of Muslim men using the chapel to complete their worship before going in as a tourist)


I visited the Dallas Museum of Art (it's always free) and loved some of the ornate pieces in their temporary exhibit of Islamic historical art


There were also pieces throughout the permanent exhibits from all different time periods and cultures. The following are some of my favorites, and I've tried to keep the arts paired next to their descriptors as best as I can.





I beautiful piece on one of my favorite stories as a child.



I tend to prefer the pre-cubism Mondrians. Very little chance of ever hanging it up upside-down.





Not only one of my favorite artists, but this museum really did allow all these photos and with no crowds or obstructions of glass on many items, it was truly a treat!


Out for dinner with two of my favorite Irish things
It's a good thing I cooked all week...

Union coffee shop in Dallas (a really cool non-profit organization with great study space and focused on community empowerment) holds these cool discussion groups!

I came too late to attend any of these, but boy am I curious about what I could have learned!
An interactive wall of responses from random patrons of the coffee shop. I really connected with this, because so much of it is so raw and honest. To me, this is a great example of what it can mean to truly be an authentic young adult Christian community.
Despite what the media might have you believe, this is more common than many from other generations seem to think.
#90kids


This one! Community in action, and I feel like so many of us can relate.
Every. Single. Day.
Because who wouldn't?
A little bit funny, a whole lot true.

Duh.
A final lunch with Becky with one of our favorite types of cuisine.
#tallgirlproblems
So now for the really good bit:
While I still haven't officially heard anything yet about my visa, I do have an expected timeline based on the experience of past YASCers.  Also, I spoke to this guy:
Getting to Skype with Bishop Mauricio
 So, what you'll need to know is that this next video is of a song that's been going through my head a lot lately (from a movie I love)


except that instead of any pickles (not my favorite) I HAVE A TICKET!!! Well, more technically, I have TWO tickets (to Brasilia via Miami) today (to depart next month). Hey, hey!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Apparently I'm so bad at what I do most that it might kill me

Round 12 of my fight vs me

Getting thrown off a cliff