I can't say I wasn't warned

I can tell quite a bit about how my health history has recently gone by some of the data from this blog. Such as: how long it has been since I last posted, how many times I've even logged in, or how many other people's posts I had backlogged to catch up on from other friends and YASCers.

But I'm catching up a little. Also, to be fair, I've had a couple other large things that had taken more of my time and energy than I expected. Or, perhaps, they are taking the same amount of time and energy they always would have, but I no longer have the reserve pool of such things like I did before my health shifted. Things that once were a small part, are now large hurdles, and sometimes I can't make it through, much less on to other things as I used to.

That's a bit beside the point though, and not actually what I came to write about today. I find myself frustrated with how focused I seem to be on all of this lately, and while it's not something I can safely ignore, I choose to also share and focus on some things that are blessedly NOT that.

March marks the 6th month home from Brazil for me, and I still find that I am continuing to learn and process much of that experience.  I have not recently been able to skype, as I had hoped, with friends and church family back there, because I am still often plagued with migraines at the most inconvenient times, and they make any computer of phone use excruciatingly painful.  I hope things can align soon, because I want to continue to use my language skills so they don't atrophy, but more so because I dearly miss those I am separated from (which is the essence of the Portuguese term "saudade" which is increasingly seen in USA culture and inspirational posters...thieves!)

A few days ago, my parents and I spent a Saturday afternoon at a food truck rally at a thrift/antique shop in the Ybor area here. This part of Tampa has a long history and a unique feel. It is a historic area, some of the old cigar factories still stand (and now that we can get the good Cuban cigars shipped in again, things are even better), but the main avenue I known for some really eclectic microbrewries, restaurants, tattoo parlors, clubs, bars, and is generally known for its Alternative and LGBT-oriented nightlife.

This food truck event was basically "everything on a stick" (including cupcakes!). From shwarma to sushi, bacon burgers to bbq, every truck offered something on a stick.  The most ideal, obviously, was a Brazilian truck with espetinhas (traditional churrasco kebabs).  In talking to the couple running it, I got to use my Portuguese once again (and she said I was "very good!" so yay!), and I learned that their family was originally from Recife on the east coast.  I told them a bit about where I had lived, and why I had gone in the first place. They even asked about my work, and which church I served (turns out they are Methodists! So at least they had heard of IEAB!). After ordering for myself and my parents (basically me telling them what they would like best), we got some Guaranà and dug into some yummy food. We wandered around some of the other trucks, vendors (got some spicy blueberry-basil hot sauce), and the market itself.  As we came back out, the woman from the Brazil truck waved me back over again because her mother had arrived with their kids.  Her mom was very sweet, and spoke almost no English, but was so happy to talk with me, hear a bit about how much I learned and enjoyed Brazil, and how much I missed it.  I realized as we spoke, that this woman, in English, did many of the same things I first did in Portuguese: starting a conversation by apologizing and then being so relieved when the local person spoke a more comfortable language.  I remember how that felt, like water in the desert, and how excited I always was for the chance to communicate with hand gestures, pausing, or looking up a translation, and sometimes having to get multiple other people pulled in to attempt to understand me.

What was also strange to me was how my family perceived this whole exchange.  Apparently, I'm much softer spoken in Portuguese (which is probably a relief for some people).  It was also really cool to be able to share more knowledge and stories with my family, because even though we talked nearly every day while I was away, there is still so very much we never shared about it all.

So after the rally, my folks wanted to know about where to get more of the Guaranà soda (can't blame them, it's ridiculously good!), which took us even further across town to the Brazilian foodmart.  It's not a big store, but they have a lot of the basic staples that I grew to love while there, including the giant chocolate Easter eggs filled with...MORE CHOCOLATES! (why have a dozen little plastic eggs when you can just get a full pound of chocolate the size of your head??? Brazil has their priorities straight!)  Sadly, we didn't actually get any of those, because my parents are both doing well on the Herbalife food plan I started them on (having lost about 85 lbs between them so far), and giant chocolate eggs aren't really ever diet approved.

But I did get to explain about lots of other stuff! Like the wonders of the cheese bread, how many products are actually gluten free because they are made with one of the million types of cassava flour, the glorious wonders of açaí, and why I love guava paste, but not guava fruit. After buying some of my favorites, we still were talking about all sorts of things, and I suggested we cross to the other side of the street where there was a Brazilian restaurant.  Again, I sort of executive ordered some to-go meals for us, and a pastel de queijo each (fried cheese pastry...not on the diet either, but too good to pass up, especially when made fresh by a pro). It was a pretty great day to reminisce and share, but it is totally not the only chance I've had recently.

I've been talking about Brazil a lot!

Because I've been teaching an Adult forum for Lent that I created, called "3rd World Perspectives, 1st World Problems". So far, I've made it through 2.5 of the 5 weeks of material (we didn't quite have time to finish this last Sunday...oops!).  I feel it is going quite well, with good discussion on some topics that are notoriously difficult.  I was warned last May by missionary friends who had been serving abroad for 15-17 years that the hardest part of being a missionary was bringing it back home, so I can't say I thought this was going to be easy, but I know it's something that is necessary for me to do, and that Lent is a pretty great opportunity to do it!

I'll wrap this post up now, with the promise to put up more another day about that course (and maybe even ways for you and your church to get a chance for me to visit and lead it in your parish!).

I'll also try and do some updates about the other stuff going on right now. Like the youth events I'm back involved in; the calligraphy and lettering skills and projects I'm working on (again, possibly available for purchase in the future); my work as part of the Parish Survey team in the search/call process of my church for our next rector; what exciting things are coming up quickly in the next 30 days for me; and why I'm not listening to any of the sermons at church during lent...
Here's the hint why I'm not hearing the "grownup sermons"

So, there's lots to look forward to! Plus, I'll be working more on a blog makeover!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Getting thrown off a cliff

Apparently I'm so bad at what I do most that it might kill me

Round 12 of my fight vs me