Returning to a place I've never been, Part 2

So in the last post, I babbled a little bit about the Original Call; mentioned some wisdom about characteristics of a Spiritual call; and gave you a story about my first call. So now, after all that setup, we're ready to talk about every Episcopalian's favorite thing: discerning a call, and responding to a call!  (I can almost hear the cringe from some of the former congregants I've known, and a cheer from others)

For a group often jokingly referred to as "The Frozen Chosen" the stereotype tends to follow the lines of: I'll do as I'm called, as long as my call lets me stay in my pew.  Let me tell you, there lies danger in pews, and not just because I routinely stub my foot on the rogue kneelers.  So let me elaborate a bit about these pitfall in the Jeff Foxworthy style:


  1. If, by the 5th reading at the Easter Vigil, you bottom gets a bit sore, you're not meant to stay in the pew.
  2. If you ever look around and think you might want to get to know your neighbors across the aisle, you're not meant to stay in the pew.
  3. If you ever consider leaving to visit those too young, too old, or too sick to make it to the church, you're not meant to stay in the pew.
  4. If you've ever heard a sermon that you were excited to share with a friend, you're not meant to stay in the pew.
And finally:
  • If you ever expect to partake of the full body and blood of Christ (at communion or as a Christian), you're not meant to stay in the pew.
There is much comfort in pews.  I often associate them with rest and refreshment of spirit (and not just because I've slept on so many for youth events). But no Christian can live life from a pew.  Matthew 28:19-20 clearly does NOT state: "Go to your pew, and wait there until I come back and get you."

"Therefore go and make disciples of all nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father and of the Son and of the Holy Spirit, and teaching them to obey everything I have commanded you. And surely I am with you always, to the very end of the age.”
And so it is that this time, my call, through the Young Adult Service Corp, is to go to the nation of Brazil.  And while there will likely be some teaching in my service to the children and youth attending the community center in Pedregal, I fully expect that I will be learning so much more about how the Anglicans and community there pursue this same goal.  

In my call to strive to return to right relationship with God, I will "Come Back" to the Diocese of Brasilia.  I will continue my initial call received at age 16 to empower relational ministry that serves all those God made. I will know that, unto the very end of the age, I am not alone.  I am quite assured of the presence of each of Charles Gore's 4 characteristics of call in this endeavor.

And I encourage you to step out of you "pew" and join me!  Join me in dialog. Join me in prayer.  Join me in financial support.  And make sure you subscribe to this blog to continue to join me throughout the experience.  And join my friends, as they travel to numerous other nations on this same mission.

Updates may be less frequent over the next month as I will be serving at DaySpring Summer Camp.  But rest assured, you can watch this blog for the occasional photo of me to reassure yourself that I'm still alive and kickin' (even as I'm covered in pudding, mosquito bites, or papier-mâché)

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Apparently I'm so bad at what I do most that it might kill me

Round 12 of my fight vs me

Getting thrown off a cliff